an open letter to my mom.

Dear Mom,

Happy birthday! It’s a blessing to be able to celebrate another year of life with you. I know aging isn’t always easy. We think of all the lives who haven’t made it to “28”, we can’t help but feel grateful to celebrate another year with you. Trust me, you don’t look a day over 20.

What a year it’s been! It’s been beyond special to watch you flourish as a Grandma this year. I don’t say often enough how wonderful you are in this role. My children adore you. I feel like I have this unique inside view watching what it was like to be a baby in your home 32 years ago. Your creativity astounds me. The games you make up to keep Kirsten and Logan entertained are nothing short of wildly amusing. Your patience knows no bounds and no matter what mood they are in, you will have them smiling and giggling in no time. You managed to get my kids to sleep in the early days in ways that were an art form – balancing one on your lap while patting a back, and rocking the other one in your arms with a blanket delicately draped over their cheeks. When I was too tired or foggy to process much, you took over feeding and sent me to a quiet room to pump and made grandmothering look so natural. I drank in your wisdom and was thankful for all the tips and tricks you taught me, and are still teaching me.

I don’t tell you enough what a great mom you were. If I had a dollar for every time I shared something “my mom did when I was younger….” and the amount of people who called you a genius, I would be a millionaire. You parented with patience, love and an extraordinary amount of creativity. It was something I took for granted until I started to realize how unique and special what I had really was. You instilled in me so many special things – a deep appreciation for Johnny Mathis and Eva Cassidy, a love for cooking and entertaining, a heart that prayed for the family of the person in an ambulance that passed us by on the street, eyes to see someone who needed a bouquet of flowers brought to them, or a hot meal dropped off, and the love to surprise someone with thoughtfulness, although I have yet to do a total bedroom makeover for someone while they are at a friend’s house for a day. J I learned how to garage sale well, give without needing recognition, how to put others first, and enjoy a nice bubble bath because of you. Your wisdom taught me to turn to prayer first and that it was important to “rise and shine and give God the glory glory.”

I find myself now, as a mom, doing things just like you and I know that because of the example I had set for me, these kids have a chance in this world. I pray that I can only do justice the wonderful example I have.

And now my heart is so full knowing that my babies have their grandma just down the street from them, not 2 states away. I know your move came at a sacrifice and I recognize the toll that transition has been. Every time you swing on by to say hi to K & L, or drop off a dinner for us, I am so thankful that you’re 6 minutes away and not 6 hours. I can’t fathom the thought of them not knowing who you are intimately well. The smiles you bring to their faces are priceless.

And today we get to celebrate YOU! And for that I am so very thankful. You were called to be a mother, and Mom, you do it so well. God gave you the greatest job in the world, and you leaned into Him and took on the challenge with grace. And while I no longer need diaper changes, you are always just a phone call away to talk me through a situation or give me your advice or unique perspective on a challenge. I appreciate that very much, even when I am too proud or stubborn to say so, which sadly is too often.

I hope you feel loved and celebrated today. You have changed lives because of the way you invested in mothering. LIVES. Not just Courtney and mine, but the lives of others that have been touched by your lessons and tricks, or that have spent a night around your dinner table being loved on with your hospitality. You have the most selfless heart I have ever known and I love you to the moon and back.

Thank you for being you, Mama Starlight. I love you.

With love,

Your Baby Starlight xoxox

image1

10 thoughts on “an open letter to my mom.

1. Sandra Barr says:

Happy Birthday, Kim!
    Chelsea’s great tribute is true and you must feel so blessed. I remember when you were my neighbor in Butterfield East, Lombard, IL, and then when you moved into a condo down the street. I always appreciated and admired your regular Hostessing of the weekly PIZZA night for Emily’s and Chelsea’s age group. It was so healthy to get the kids together in a fun setting.
    I always marveled at your decorated house and yard when I would go for a walk. And then when I visited your new condo, I thought, “How strange it would be to bring up your groceries in a cart in the elevator!” And now, I’m doing just that down here in Mexico.
    So great you could move near the twins!!! They are so cute! (Abi has twins, Ella and Sam, 12 yrs. old now.)
    Anyway, we pray your year is healthy, happy, and full of love and joy. God bless you and give you strength for each new day. Hope the Birthday dinner was special.
    Love and blessings,
    Sandra and Randy Barr

• Kim says:

Dear Chelsea
      Your words have touched my heart in a big way. I received the biggest blessing getting to be a mother to two daughters that have brought so much joy to my life. As I look back on my life, my one wish would be that I could do it all over again. It’s your turn now though and I’m so confident you will be the best mom ever because you already are. I’m so excited to get to see you interact with the most precious gifts you’ll ever receive. Just to watch how much the babies so adore you makes my heart full of joy. I don’t have words to express how much I love you, and how I loved watching you girls flourish and grow it was a gift each day being your mother. God has been so good to me, and I feel so undeserving of His goodness. I’m so thankful He blessed me with you, and I thank Him every day for that. I ❤️ U
      Love, Mama ⭐️💡

• Kim says:

Dear Sandra Thank you for those kind words. Thank you most for your prayers and for the years you spent being a wonderful role model. Thank you for that recipe…. I can’t wait to make it and wonder why it tastes no where near as good as yours did :)
      It was so nice to read your message and remember those “good ole days”. You have twin grandchildren too….I know you are loving being a grandma as much as I am … We are so blessed. Thank you for taking the time to comment it was so kind of you.
      God Bless You!
      💛Kim

2. Tony Mendoza Sr says:

Kim, Mrs. Bobko, Chelsea’s mom…those are three names I knew you by. However, you will always forever be The Cookie Lady to me…three cookies for $2! You were always very nice, and very sociable…you even picked me up at my house one time and took me to your church.

You always brightened up my day, and so did your birds. You raised two very nice young girls who have grown up into beautiful women…and now you are a grandma! I wish you nothing but the happiest birthday wishes…you deserve it!!

3. Kim says:

Dear Tony,
    Long time no see… Ah yes many good memories and good times we shared. Monday nights at the cabin …Youths for Christ… just gave me a chance to know you better. I hope life has been good to you and you are still eating cookies :) Cookies were 3 for a buck and if I remember correctly you were a regular customer (except during wrestling season) It was so good to hear from you…thank you for writing those great memories. I hope you are happy healthy and still loving our great God.
    Bless you Tony!
    💛 The Cookie Lady

4. Roberta Rogers says:

Dear Kim,
    Chelsea’s sincere Birthday tribute to you is such a beautiful reflection of who “you” are!! How wonderful to be reminded of what a wonderful women and mother & now grandmother you are. Her humorous, wise and tender hearted attention to details is also such a gift in and of itself. This time you, are the focus of her many gifts! You must be so proud and blessed by the women Chelsea has become. Kim thank you giving my daughter one of the dearest lifetime friends she could ever have, Thank you for all those times you had the kids at your house. You certainly shared the load with all of us Mom’s of the day :) We have come a long way from those nights of car pooling the kids or sitting in front of the show praying & waiting for them to all come out and getting them safely home etc etc.. Today, you sit on the other side of all those answered prayers and huge acts of LOVE…Praised and honored for who you are and will remain even past 20 something …..
    Wishing you a very Happy Birthday & Blessed Birthday and many new and rich memories yet to create!! Perhaps we can have a visit sometime when i come up to visit Emily & Gabe,
    Love & Hugs, Roberta

• Kim says:

Thank you Roberta for sharing those special words. Yes I am truly blessed and so are you. My daughters have made me so proud and I am so thank ful to God. It’s nice to know that the time we invested in our children to become Warriors for Christ will now be instilled in another generation, their children, our grandchildren. There is no better gift I could ever get than to know those I leave behind have a relationship with God and won’t have to ever do this life alone. The years when I had a houseful of kids were some very happy times and I wouldn’t change a thing. Thank you for all the hosting you did… it was peace of mind knowing the kids were in good hands. Perhaps we can meet up again to catch up :) Peace to you this holiday season. ❤️ Kim

5. Ann (Clas) Gibson says:

Mrs Bobko! Happy birthday. I have been a witness of your hospitality many times throughout junior high and high school and remember always feeling warmly welcomed by you. I remember you made really tasty snacks for us several times, that you were very present and engaging with me and Chelsea’s other friends when we’d come over. Thank you for your positive influence and love!! Praying this season is one of the very best for you.

6. Kim says:

Ann, it’s so wonderful to know you grew up loving the Lord and you never let go of what matters. Lots of fun times we had and it’s been so nice being reminded of all the love we shared between us all. Thanks for the kind words. I wish you and your family a blessed holiday season.
    💜 Mrs. Bobko